Sunday, March 3, 2013

It isn't always bad.

I thought it prudent to put a section in here letting you know that things aren't always awful going through immunotherapy.  Sure the side effects can be rough in the beginning, but your body does adjust to the treatment and things will calm down.  I know you'll read most of my posts of the awful times, but there are good things that come out of treatment as well.  Also it is easy to post the bad stuff.  That sticks in your memory longer. 

The first of which is getting to know your medical staff.  I have been fortunate enough to spent a significant portion of my time with my nurses the Medical College of Virginia Dalton Oncology Clinic.  These are the most compassionate women I have ever met.  Seriously, if you are having problems, speak with your chemo & oncology nurses.  These people can help.  They have seen enough people through treatment to have a good idea of what you are going through, and may recommend some ways to make it all less painful or traumatic.  A few of my nurses went through it as well, so they know first hand what is going on.

I hate IV's.  I have issues with getting them inserted.  I hate the way it feels, I get queasy just thinking about it.  So, in an effort to distract myself, I tell jokes to my nurses while they are working on me.  They have also started telling me jokes so that I can be a little more relaxed and the IV goes in a little easier.  Either way, they are really good at distracting me during this process.  These people wouldn't be there if they didn't really care about what they do. 

My Dr. is also great but I don't see him as often.  My oncology nurse, who is administering the program for me is amazing!  I have her cell number so I can text her if things go south in the middle of the night.  She may not get right back with me in an instant, but I know I've checked in and that she will get to me when she can.  If she doesn't have an answer for me right then, she checks with the Dr. and is back to me in a few minutes.

Always keep your nurse up to date on what is going on.  If your fever spikes after a treatment, call or send a text or e-mail.  Always follow instructions from your medical staff.  It amazes me how many people do not do this.  Many problems can be alleviated by following the medical staff's instructions.  When in doubt, ask. 

1 comment: